Not one of my students!

Not one of my students!
Not One of My Students!

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim
Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Lessons and Carols" - "December Dilemma"

I had intended to write about the winter vacation activity which I've planned for my Hebrew School students. Instead, however,an experience which I had yesterday is very much on my mind. I frequently exercise at a facility which is run by a local hospital. This hospital was founded by and bears the name of a Protestant denomination, although the hospital facilities are entirely secular - usually.

Yesterday,when I entered the exercise area, I noticed on the bulletin board an invitation to join in "The Annual Lessons and Carols" which were already in progress. No problem - I've long since become accustomed to weeks of Christmas carols which, these days, seem to begin while the Halloween pumpkins are still fresh. Actually, I know most of the carols by heart from my childhood in a public school system at a time when, to suggest that Christmas should not be celebrated in a public school, was to be labelled a communist and to be subject to virulent anti-Semitism. The "Lessons" I assumed would be about staying slim during the holidays, plus some bending and stretching to the tune of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Not exactly!!

As I watched, the carol singing group paused in their harmonizing. A woman wearing a perky Santa hat stepped forward and began to read the Christmas Story from the New Testament. Oh...so that's what they meant by "lessons." I was angry at first and began to mentally compose an irate letter to the Director of the facility, regarding the imposition of religion in a secular space.

At the same time, I couldn't help but look around. This exercise facility also serves as a rehab center. As such, many of those working out are elderly or disabled or both. There were smiles all around, a sense of peace and quiet enjoyment of the familiar words of Scripture. True, the songs and readings didn't reflect my religious beliefs, but were, nonetheless, comforting to the majority of those listening.
Peace, Shalom, Joy, valuable commodities in these chaotic times, whatever the source. I couldn't help but think of Joseph, the hero of the last three Torah Portions. Joseph, the Jewish boy who watched and listened and assimilated into Egyptian society. Joseph, the wise and perceptive dreamer who rose to a position of great power in a land far from his home and traditions. Joseph, who used his power to help his contentious family and, thus, to advance the evolution of the Jewish People. Perhaps, Joseph was uncomfortable with Egyptian idolatry, but he recognized the unfolding of God's Plan in very unlikely circumstances. Joseph watched and listened and learned. A worthy example to follow.
Peace on Earth - Good Will to All. Ah-la- vay!

1 comment: