Not one of my students!

Not one of my students!
Not One of My Students!

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim
Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Israel Display: Small Country-Big News

I went to my classroom today to prepare a classroom scavenger hunt sheet (Post 8/3/10 "Classroom Scavenger Hunt") for the First Day of school. There are a number of different types of maps of Israel on the walls. Seeing these maps reminded me of a display and lesson that a friend, a very creative Jewish educator, designed. My friend asked her 6th grade students to bring in news articles about Israel. As the articles came in, she tacked them on a map of Israel. In a very short time, the articles completely covered the map! Lesson learned: Small country - Big News.
Students also discussed the various articles, points of view of the reporters and commentators, and Israel's role in international politics.

A map of the world may be used instead - another way to contrast Israel's size with the news that the country generates. Israel - tiny on the world map, but looming large in current events.

More to come...oreos and other treats

No comments:

Post a Comment