Not one of my students!

Not one of my students!
Not One of My Students!

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim
Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Comprehensive Exercise: Positive Assessment

Last week, my Hebrew School students completed a "Comprehensive Exercise" on the first three chapters of our modern Hebrew textbook. "Comprehensive Exercise" - a rather ponderously vague phrase. Why not just say "test" or "exam"? Actually, I came up with "Comprehensive Exercise" in order to avoid using the words "test" or "exam." Taking a test implies the possibility of passing or failing, and that doesn't fit in with the concept of life long learning on which my Religious School's educational program (and my own view of Jewish Education) is based.

No student should ever be burdened with the notion that he/she failed Hebrew (or Prayers or Jewish History for that matter).
"No, I'm not interested in any Israel programs. I failed Hebrew." That's not what I as a Jewish Educator ever want to hear. Better to use a positive, non-threatening approach which leads a student to believe, "I know some Hebrew words and phrases and can learn lots more by spending time in Israel."

Life long Jewish learning suggests a process of skill development and increasing understanding over time. Over-emphasis on grading and assessment in the Hebrew School years can have a negative impact on a student's desire to engage in future Jewish learning.

I recognize the challenge for the teacher of providing a professional, meaningful program in a way that makes each student feel successful in their Jewish education. We strive to foster excellence, while encouraging improvement and offering support. Sometimes, it's simply a matter of substituting "Comprehensive Exercise" for "test."

So, how did my students "do" on the Comprehensive Exercise? Well, they had mastered some words and need more practice on others. In this week's class, I'm giving each student a card with a list of words they need to review at home. Those with longer lists will see that they need to put extra effort into their weekly home assignment.

In class, I'll re-teach, repeat, and offer students more practice saying the words and phrases they didn't remember. One word that caused many errors was "matana" ("gift). I plan to give each table of students a gift-wrapped bunch of lolly-pops. They'll have a chance to say, "Todah la'matana." ("Thank you for the gift.') and "Hinei matana." ("Here is a gift.") and "L'shulchan aleph yeish matana." ("Table aleph has a gift."), etc.
Sometimes life long learning is better served by a treat than a test grade!

In the grand scheme of Jewish learning, the Exodus from Egypt was a Test.
Matching up a few Hebrew and English words and translating some Hebrew sentences - that's a Comprehensive Exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment