Not one of my students!

Not one of my students!
Not One of My Students!

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Welcome - Baruchim Habaim
Welcome - Baruchim Habaim

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Classroom Displays: Dino on Board

As we think about classroom displays, consider this FAQ. Do students really look at and learn from those painstakingly assembled wall displays? Students may have a vague sense that there is Jewish stuff on the walls and bulletin boards, but their attention is probably more focused on their friends' smart phone apps or Silly Bandz. I actually have proof of this!

While teaching American History to 8th graders in a Jewish Day School, I put up numerous bulletin boards and wall displays. I had a strong feeling that while the administration appreciated my effort, the students paid scant attention to these displays. One day, I put a picture of Tyrannosaurus rex right in the middle of a bulletin board depicting heroic highlights of the American Revolution. As far as I know, T-rex never rode with Paul Revere! Weeks passed. We had moved on to the Articles of Confederation and not one student had noticed the dino hanging out with the Minutemen. Finally, I pointed out the giant reptile about to devour the Patriots. My students laughed and regarded the whole incident as a quirky "teacher thing."

The moral here is Put Up and Point Out! Create displays with specific interactive activities in mind. Walls can teach, but only if you integrate what's on display with what's in your lesson plans.

Coming up...Wall and bulletin board displays that engage, enlighten, and even entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment